Wednesday, December 19, 2007

How to Analyze Slow Query Logs in a Production Database

I have 25 GB of data and I keep the parsed slow query logs in my database. How am I going to analyze these slow query logs? Sure these logs can tell you the top 10 slow queries, but is this the only use of these logs?

What if I migrate my database to a new hardware? How do I compare the slow query logs of the two hardware? The problem is that this is a live system and therefore the amount of query are not the same, so it is like comparing apples and oranges.

After a cup of coffee, I realized that I would just do the following:

1. Get the high level average count of slow queries and average query time for 1 week before and after the migration.
2. Drill down the average count of slow queries and average query time on a server by server basis.

No comments: